- When Spirituality Substitutes for Reality
- Best Profile of Divorce’s Effect on Children
- Open Letter to Queen Elizabeth the 2nd about Heaven
- God’s Three Basic Rules
- Reading List for People Stuck Inside – Christian but not Denominational
- What the Virus Pandemic Will Bring
- The Bible speaks on tattoos
- Why such Hatred of Women in Our Time
- Q and A Quora 2019
- Thank you
- Rules for Success and Rules for Failure
- The Coronavirus Prayer
- The Doctor who Forbade me to Pray for His Patient
- The Faith of Christopher Hitchens by Larry Taunton
- Dealing with Shame God’s Way
- Seeing the World Through God’s Eyes
- Lazarus, the New Man, “Come forth.”
- Please stop trying to make church cool
- Living on the Interest – A Life Fulfilled
- The Link between Deception vs. Delusion both Political and Religious
- The Saddest Story I Ever Heard
- How could Jesus Die for Everyone
- The Mouth Cannot Say what the Heart Does Not Believe
- A New Look at Christian Marriage & Divorce
- Failure= Wrong Question + Wrong Answer
- Dreams and Interpretation – a Testimony
- Symbolism in The Wizard of Oz
- Immigration – We’ve Done it Wrong
- This German Reporter Spent Time With ISIS…And Lived To Tell About It
- What it Means “to Honor Your Father and Mother”
- Can You Handle Rejection?
- Widow’s Mite
- Coronavirus Lockdown Is A ‘Living Hell’ – personal essay
- The Difference between Law & Grace
- God’s Promises Have No Pull Date
- ‘All things work together for good’ – even the Coronavirus.
- There is No “Safe Place”
- When You Retreat in a War on Evil
- The Nature of Fear
- President Dwight Eisenhower speaks on political parties
- Why Men say They Don’t Understand Women
- Powerless Pastors- Guest Speaker
- Surefire Prayers for Politics
- How to Pray for Candidates
- The Un-Whitening of Christianity
- Willful Ignorance – God Stopped Winking
- Today is Election Day NC
- Bible Study Lesson 8
- Hate: Defining Element of Modern Politics
- All Leaders are Readers
- Movie Review “We are Marshall”
- The Bitter Root
- Elohim – The First Name of God
- ‘Til Christ be Formed in You
- When you Pray? and to Whom?
- DO NOT miss this film
- The Theological Difference between the Republican and Democrat Parties
- The Evil Heart of Unbelief
- Prophecy – Trump, Pelosi & the Future of Humanity
- Lies – The Chief Sin
- Bible Study Lesson 7
- Forgiveness is Job One
- Bible Study Lesson 6
- President Trump’s State of the Union Final Remarks
- Bible Study Lesson 5
- God’s Bucket List
- The Anarchist, the Day Yahshua Returns
- Bible Study Lesson 4
- Bible Study Lesson 3
- Bible Study Lesson 2
- Easy Rules for Daily Bible Study Lesson 1
- Prophecy about Europe, Israel, France, Germany in 2015 that is coming true.
- Worship Defined – Not What You Think
- Do you love them enough to tell them the truth?
- How to Pray for Iran & the Middle East
- Can You Interpret this Dream/Vision?
- It’s Easy to Lie about the Crusades
- ‘Intellectual Suicide’ He’s Waging a Battle Against Political Correctness — and Has a Warning for Churches That Sway Aimlessly With Cultural Whims
- 2,600 year old Contract on the Jews
- The Return of Jesus
- Symbolism – Woman in Revelation 12
- The Difference between Islam, Judaism & Christianity
- The Worst Sin of All is …
- Repentance means “Change Your Mind”
- A Word from the Bible about Alcohol
- Why Your Vote is a Religious Obligation
- Happy New Year
- Prophecy for 2020
- Facts about Israel, the Chosen People
- God’s View of Time – Kairos and Chronos
- Spirit of Error losing market share; Truth is up
- How to Interpret Scripture
- Jesus Came to Turn the World Upside Down
- The Globe at Night – Shows where God is Light
- The Valley of Decision 2020
- The Difference between Fellowship & Relationship
- What Impeachment Costs the Nation
- Symbolism of the Human Body
- God’s Plan for America 2020
- The Curse of Eli – the Bad Father
You probably didn’t know the Bible had an appropriate passage about this type of person. You know them. You sit down with a group of friends and talk about your recent conversation with someone and she reminds you that she already had a previous talk with her. You say you had a nice trip to San Antonio and she spends 10 minutes telling how she lived there and was such a glorious addition to the community. You note that life has been better and she says, not a bit. Whatever you can do, she can do better or differently.
It is called contradiction which comes from two words, “contra”, against and “dict,” to speak. Contentious people want you to argue and fight. Dealing with contentious people is a test of one’s character and unfortunately you are being tested. Jesus had to contend with people like this.
Hebrews 12:3 For consider Him that endured such contradiction from sinners against Himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds
Or how about this version:
Amplified Hebrews 12:3 Just think of Him Who endured from sinners such grievous opposition and bitter hostility against Himself [reckon up and consider it all in comparison with your trials], so that you may not grow weary or exhausted, losing heart and relaxing and fainting in your minds.
ERV Hebrews 12:3 Think about Jesus. He patiently endured the angry insults that sinful people were shouting at him. Think about him so that you won’t get discouraged and stop trying.
Please note that Jesus calls these people sinners and considering how they oppose you, you are not going to be the one who reaches them in your own strength. Next we note that Jesus did not speak against these folks. He endured them. That is another word for perseverance as noted in this passage.
Endurance is a virtue and one step in a process of gaining wisdom and holiness.
2 Peter 1:5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.
There are many occasions when our only response is to say nothing, and do nothing but endure. Since these people want to argue your refusal to argue puts them out of business. No argument – no problem.
Personally I had this same situation and I stopped talking to this woman on the phone. She sent some snarky emails calling me names, positive that those attacks would get me back into her battlefield, but I ignored them for a year. Now when she calls I occasionally answer, but not always. I am simply not available to listen to her kvetching.
When Jesus was questioned by King Herod He said not a word. Jesus knew, and perhaps Herod also knew, that his was illegitimate authority. Herod ascended to his throne by murdering his relatives, and just about anyone else he found in his way.
Jesus, and you, do not need to answer to wrong authority, or those who are picking a fight with you. Jesus did not answer and so can we.
If you enjoy our articles here, please join the discussion by subscribing, and following us on Twitter @ImmaculateAssum and at Immaculate Assumptions on Facebook. Additional background material on the author and her writings can be found at AMAZON where you may purchase her e-book, Immaculate Assumptions: All You Heard about the Bible that Isn’t True.
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Top Posts & Pages
- Hair - An Important Symbol
- The Difference between Prayer and Intercession
- God's Plan for America 2020
- What Happens when You Deny God?
- The Difference between Being Born Again & Being Saved
- 6 Hours on the Cross – The Crucifixion
- What one Question God will ask You on Judgment Day
- The Importance of Shall vs. Will in Scripture
- Open Letter to Queen Elizabeth the 2nd about Heaven
- What is a Jesus Generation?
Search by Category
- Applied Christianity
- Bible Studies
- History of Religion
- Let's Rethink
- Personal Relationships
- Political Issues
- Spiritual Roots
- Spiritual Warfare
- Symbolism & Dream Interpretation
- The Church v. The Kingdom
- The Difference Between
- True Story