Seniors talk about their bucket list, what they want to do before they die. Maybe God has a list for you too. Many of my older friends think they no longer have any position, value or duty now that they are not earning money or keeping up a busy household.
Not so. If you are going to live 10,000 years, plus, then your short life of 80 years is equivalent to 15 minutes of the total time of existence. A mere whiff.
God said He had a set of plans for you.
Jeremiah 29:11 Lexham English Bible (LEB) 11 For I know the plans that I am planning concerning you,’ declares[a] Yahweh, ‘plans for prosperity and not for harm, to give to you a future and a hope.
Think of this as a time of reward. Working for God and with Him has many blessings. So sit down with paper and pen and make a list of all the things you think He would want you to do. I was 67 when I went to China for the first time; it is one of the top highlights of my entire life, which brings blessings even today with Chinese friends by email.
- Mercy Ships – Using your own money you accompany doctors and nurses around to various ports where the patients may have never seen a real doctor. You do not need to be medically trained, just know how to take instructions and be helpful to the full time staff.
- Senior citizen programs – Social service agencies have placement for attendants who work with sick babies and children who need love and attention in hospitals and agencies. Many pay a small stipend which is not tax deductible and occasionally they have transportation services. You’ll need a physical checkup and a background check but they’ll be happy to have you.
- Volunteer teachers are needed in schools, playgrounds, sports pavilions. Chick-fil-et at one time even had volunteers who offered to pray for diners.
- God may want you to go back and get another degree, or learn to play an instrument. I wish I had time to learn the guitar – or to buy one.
- I have a friend who is partially disabled. He gets into a little electric cart at WalMart and zips around, asking people if they want prayer. He hardly ever gets a “no” answer.
- Your being out in the public gives you a chance to make an impact on someone else’s life. And when you do, it impacts you as well.
Now put your list in your Bible and don’t look at it for two weeks. Then open it up again and write down what God has told you to do. He might say buy an RV and tour the country with your niece! Be open ended about your life and God will fill it with meaning.