Home » Posts tagged '1 Samuel 15:22-23'
Tag Archives: 1 Samuel 15:22-23
- Iran and a 3000 year old Prophecy
- What Missionaries Do
- How to read through the Bible in a Year without losing heart
- What the Bible Says about Immigration
- Beating the Christmas Blues
- What is Muslim (Islamic) “abrogation”?
- Unmasking Washington DC
- Symbolism involving Water
- Thanksgiving is not Turkey Day
- What Would Jesus have Us Do
- Word from Franklin Graham
- Peace on Earth to Whom?
- What Brings Leaders Down
- Death is a Place – “The Body of This Death”
- Politics in the Pulpit
- Why Communism is a Theological Issue
- Jesus did not come here to do your will
- The Real Result of World War 2: Germany under siege
- “Replacement” Theology and the 2 Israels
- What the New Testament says about Women in Ministry ?
- Pray for the Peace of Jerusalem
- Why Your Prayers May Not Be Answered
- Religion is Not Faith
- What it Means “to Honor Your Father and Mother”
- What I Wish I’d Known at 30
- How did Communism become a religion?
- God’s Ace in the Hole
- New View of the Rapture and “Left Behind”
- Before You Buy that Thanksgiving Turkey
- The Five Worldviews
- How to Understand the Bible
- When Jesus advised “Mind Your Own Business”
- God’s Harvest
- For Atheists
- The Difference between Being Born Again & Being Saved
- John Paul Jackson – Dream Interpretation and Symbolism
- Unemployed Angels Hanging around the Holy Staffing Agency
- God says “I’m behind your rotten weather.”
- God’s Enemies are Our Enemies
- Buddhist Prays to Whom?
- Three Options for the Day of the Lord
- What God calls Abomination?
- Cosmologists know Nothing abut Origins
- Political Actions as Theological Events
- How did Jesus Die for Everyman
- When Politicians (Mis)quote the Bible
- Good Decision Making
- The Dead Press vs. Living Information
- God’s Blessings for the First Born
- The Long Range Cure for Stress
- Confusing “Good” People and “Saved”
- Why Evangelism to Orientals fails (and how to succeed)
- The Old Testament is still In Effect
- Impeachment Exposes Corruption in High Places
- What is Truth
- Why am I Not Healed
- God’s Hands Moved this Hospital Clock –
- Will Solomon Kill the Methodist Baby?
- How will Jesus Return
- What We Try to Do Here
- The Multiverse of the Individual
- Obama’s Children’s Crusade – compare 1212 A.D.
- Dream and Symbol of the White House Breach
- Jesus has a Sense of Humor
- Depression and the Case for Mental Discipline
- Why Study History
- Why America is Exceptional
- Slaughter of Babies – A Sign of Momentous Change
- Beheading – A Symbol for the pan-Islamic Plan
- How to Explain Death to a Child
- Children Deserve the Truth
- God Speaks Through Events
- Let’s Start Rethinking about Political Campaigns
- Einstein, String Theory, Quantum Physics and God
- Daily Life in Heaven
- Media Censorship is Narcissism
- Daily Life in Hell
- Guest Teaching – the Death of Judas
- Why has Evangelism in the Pacific been so Slow?
- Eternal Security vs. Eternal Insecurity
- How we Know Jesus was Cremated
- Blood Sacrifice and the Symbolism of the Death of Seal Team 6 (revised)
- Why Pres. Trump is called “Cyrus”
- Van Gogh’s Painting of the By-Passed Church
- Why Denying the Faith is Not a Problem
- Stumbling on Doctrine
- Don’t say ISIL, say ISIS
- What They Don’t Tell You about Christian Persecution
- Meek is not Weak
- Dream Interpretation & Symbolism -water, diamonds, stars, wood
- The Subtle World of Christian Legalism
- Who are the Watchmen on the Walls?
- Cheap Grace, Sloppy Agape, Greasy Grace
- Divorce has a Spiritual Cause
- How the CEO was deceived by Top Management
- Albert Einstein
- Try Interpreting this Dream
- Gay Marriage, Judeo-Christian Marriage and Contract vs. Covenant Marriage
- The Meaning of “Elohim” – The Plural God
- What does it mean to repent?
Follow Blog via Email
We all want our brain surgeon (or car mechanic) to do a perfect job but when he (or she) comes home to control, manipulate, dominate or hassle human beings, the trouble begins.
The Bible refers to this behavior as “witchcraft.” It is the attempt to manage a situation by calling on someone other than God to be in charge. The quotation is from I Samuel 15.
So Samuel said:
“Has the Lord as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices,
As in obeying the voice of the Lord?
Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice,
And to heed than the fat of rams.
23 For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft,
And stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry.
Stubbornness is as witchcraft. The Old Testament is full of references to seeking other gods for guidance, to idols for spells and witches’ brews as one finds even today in modern societies. You may not get involved with potions and spells and simply become the witch yourself! Control freaks are usually unpopular.
Perfectionism is wrongly believed to be an action; in fact, it is a reaction to a situation when someone loses control. No one begins life as a control freak but in the course of human life all men learn that they are not perfect and they can’t control many events and persons around them.
Lack of gratitude
It starts with dissatisfaction. Romans 1 begins the descent into depravity as not being grateful followed by dissatisfaction and complaining. Adults were surprised when the international women’s soccer champions were expected to rejoice in their victory and instead complained about being victims. They wanted more money. https://www.theepochtimes.com/c-sports They are not likely to get it. When you show disrespect for the fans who pay the bills you degrade yourself and your sport. And victims they are not.
The snake proposed ingratitude and blame
In the garden the snake intimated that God was not being fair with the First Pair, that they needed to seek more information. The snake said God was hiding the truth, and in fact God was, a truth about evil that He had hoped they could avoid. And when the fruit was consumed, their reaction tells it all. ONE denial, TWO blame.
Men’s reactions have not changed. Here is the passage to refresh your mind.
8 Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the Lord God among the trees of the garden. 9 But the Lord God called to the man, “Where are you?” (Make no mistake. God absolutely knows where everyone is.”)
10 He answered, “I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid.”
11 And he said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?”
12 The man said, “The woman you put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it.”
13 Then the Lord God said to the woman, “What is this you have done?”
The woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.”
Eve blamed the devil and Adam blamed both God and the woman. Yes, nothing has changed.
These days it may be dissatisfaction with relationships, with our own inability, or the constant harping of someone else. There are “men pleasers” who seek acceptance from other people over everything else; God is supposed to define who you are not other people. One reason is that other people will often get it wrong!
Comparing yourself to others is foolish
If we allow other people to mold our personality we spend a lifetime looking for favor outside of ourselves, but you’ll find these mentors are never satisfied either; they are insecure and your imperfections will only convince them more that you are wrong because you don’t make them feel right. Multiple marriages can result.
At fault is our comparing ourselves to other people. It happens anyway – “Why can’t you be a good student like your older sister?” Many a poor teacher has said that to a child. And children may believe they will be adopted out if they are not perfect. Or sent away. God is not in this, period!
God has a plan for your life
God has a plan for your life and he is not comparing you to anyone or anything beyond His very own plan. Wise is he who finds it.
If God called you to be a singer why are you trying so hard to be a tennis champion? Finding your call is important and keeps you from futile actions. Some of the most interesting biographies are of people who had to leave home and never see their families again because their parents wanted them in a job where they were not called or unsuitable. John Denver is just such as person. After he became famous he was able to rejoin his family that expected him to be a soldier.
Dissatisfaction with one’s life can lead to three actions:
1. Permanent depression and focus on regrets and failures of the past
2. Incremental changes in one’s own life rejecting the control of others and acceptance of ones self.
3. Ever-increasing attempts to control one’s environment and the people, things and events in it. These are the difficult people.
1. Every item in their possession or dwelling is in the exact same place and in perfect order. Sleeping with the Enemy is a movie about a man gone berserk to the point of psychosis.
2. Nothing that produces contradiction or disorder is permitted. You’re free to leave if you don’t like it.
3. God’s will and occasionally even simple truth is not allowed.
4. Self-will is on the throne of that person’s life.
5. Everyone and everything else is to blame. We’re back to the Garden now.
So to review the spiritual issues here. I BOLDED them all in the text above.
- hiding from God, behind the church or deeds
- avoidance or refusal to hear truth
- seek praise of others
- stubbornness, refusal to change
- over emphasis on things
- denial of a problem, of having sinned or disobeyed
- substituting good deeds for obedience
- occasionally obsession with cleanliness
Perfectionists are wonderful, competent people who do well and are valuable members of any community. But we don’t save ourselves, and ultimately perfectionists are seeking for their outside to change first and then make perfect their inside. When they burden others with their demands is when they become odious.
God has given us a savior, Yeshua aka Jesus, and He alone can do the job. It is a lesson for us all to learn.