Home » Posts tagged 'The Message'
Tag Archives: The Message
- Thank you
- Rules for Success and Rules for Failure
- The Coronavirus Prayer
- The Doctor who Forbade me to Pray for His Patient
- The Faith of Christopher Hitchens by Larry Taunton
- Dealing with Shame God’s Way
- Seeing the World Through God’s Eyes
- Lazarus, the New Man, “Come forth.”
- Please stop trying to make church cool
- Living on the Interest – A Life Fulfilled
- The Link between Deception vs. Delusion both Political and Religious
- The Saddest Story I Ever Heard
- How could Jesus Die for Everyone
- The Mouth Cannot Say what the Heart Does Not Believe
- A New Look at Christian Marriage & Divorce
- Failure= Wrong Question + Wrong Answer
- Dreams and Interpretation – a Testimony
- Symbolism in The Wizard of Oz
- Immigration – We’ve Done it Wrong
- This German Reporter Spent Time With ISIS…And Lived To Tell About It
- What it Means “to Honor Your Father and Mother”
- Can You Handle Rejection?
- Widow’s Mite
- Coronavirus Lockdown Is A ‘Living Hell’ – personal essay
- The Difference between Law & Grace
- God’s Promises Have No Pull Date
- ‘All things work together for good’ – even the Coronavirus.
- There is No “Safe Place”
- When You Retreat in a War on Evil
- The Nature of Fear
- President Dwight Eisenhower speaks on political parties
- Why Men say They Don’t Understand Women
- Powerless Pastors- Guest Speaker
- Surefire Prayers for Politics
- How to Pray for Candidates
- The Un-Whitening of Christianity
- Willful Ignorance – God Stopped Winking
- Today is Election Day NC
- Bible Study Lesson 8
- Hate: Defining Element of Modern Politics
- All Leaders are Readers
- Movie Review “We are Marshall”
- The Bitter Root
- Elohim – The First Name of God
- ‘Til Christ be Formed in You
- When you Pray? and to Whom?
- DO NOT miss this film
- The Theological Difference between the Republican and Democrat Parties
- The Evil Heart of Unbelief
- Prophecy – Trump, Pelosi & the Future of Humanity
- Lies – The Chief Sin
- Bible Study Lesson 7
- Forgiveness is Job One
- Bible Study Lesson 6
- President Trump’s State of the Union Final Remarks
- Bible Study Lesson 5
- God’s Bucket List
- The Anarchist, the Day Yahshua Returns
- Bible Study Lesson 4
- Bible Study Lesson 3
- Bible Study Lesson 2
- Easy Rules for Daily Bible Study Lesson 1
- Prophecy about Europe, Israel, France, Germany in 2015 that is coming true.
- Worship Defined – Not What You Think
- Do you love them enough to tell them the truth?
- How to Pray for Iran & the Middle East
- Can You Interpret this Dream/Vision?
- It’s Easy to Lie about the Crusades
- ‘Intellectual Suicide’ He’s Waging a Battle Against Political Correctness — and Has a Warning for Churches That Sway Aimlessly With Cultural Whims
- 2,600 year old Contract on the Jews
- The Return of Jesus
- Symbolism – Woman in Revelation 12
- The Difference between Islam, Judaism & Christianity
- The Worst Sin of All is …
- Repentance means “Change Your Mind”
- A Word from the Bible about Alcohol
- Why Your Vote is a Religious Obligation
- Happy New Year
- Prophecy for 2020
- Facts about Israel, the Chosen People
- Spirit of Error losing market share; Truth is up
- How to Interpret Scripture
- Jesus Came to Turn the World Upside Down
- The Globe at Night – Shows where God is Light
- The Valley of Decision 2020
- The Difference between Fellowship & Relationship
- What Impeachment Costs the Nation
- Symbolism of the Human Body
- God’s Plan for America 2020
- The Curse of Eli – the Bad Father
- Get the Church out of the Foxholes
- How to Pray 2019
- Holy Spirit as Unifier
- When your faith conflicts with your employment
- The Chief Political Issue of our Time
- Antisemitism in Europe- Hey, Didn’t We Already Fight This War?
- Damnable and Non-Damnable Heresies
- Iran and a 3000 year old Prophecy
- What Missionaries Do – The Call of God
- How to read through the Bible in a Year without losing heart
Print this out an place in your favorite Bible. Decide now that you will get up a half hour before everyone else and get this reading done before you start your day. once you get in the habit you will never give it up.
If you read the Bible through cover to cover, and I’ve done it often, you may get bogged down in Deuteronomy or Leviticus, so I recommend you start with the New King James version, which is the one most often quoted, and I’d read The Message for all the historical books, Chronicles, Kings, and Samuel.
Try to skip around the other books reading those chapters that have come up in discussion or a sermon.
Let’s say your minister speaks on Ben-Hadad. He is a wicked King of Syria and Syria’s wickedness is at the top of our current news. You can look up chapters on this man by going to Bible Gateway
If you get up early in the morning to do this, the thoughts you read will filter through your brain during the day and keep your mind off how broke you are.
After you read a chapter check off the number at the chapter heading. If you read 3 chapters each day and 5 on the weekends you should be done in a year. One Psalm each day will take 5 months. Now that doesn’t sound so hard, does it?
Remember 3 chapters a day and 5 on the weekends = 1 year.
If you enjoy our articles here, please join the discussion by subscribing, and following us on Twitter @ImmaculateAssum and at Immaculate Assumptions on Facebook. Additional background material on the author and her writings can be found at AMAZON where you may purchase her e-book, Immaculate Assumptions: All You Heard about the Bible that Isn’t True.
The most accurate translations according to many are those of the Lockman Foundation; they are the Amplified version and the New American Standard. If you are going to pay $75.00 for a Bible you want one which will last. Larger print is good for both tired eyes and wide margins for writing notes. After all, you can expect God to speak to you when you read His word, and you’ll want to record that.
Another standard is the New King James which has all the old, familiar words but old fashioned words are eliminated, such as looketh, thee, thou, many words not currently in use. Unfortunately that also means you may lose some of the meaning. Thou means one person and thee means you’all, and sometimes that makes a difference in interpretation.
You can also find a dozen versions in many languages on Bible Gateway.com. Of course you can’t write on it! But you can print it out with fat margins and double space for more notes.
The Message is a very modern, almost ‘mod’ version but it is also clear and readable for teens. The Jerusalem Bible is a translation for Catholics which is good too. Many Bibles have footnotes which are helpful. A red letter version, Jesus’ words are in red, is esp. good for new Bible readers.
There are many denominational versions popular with particular churches such as NIV, Dake’s Bible, you can check them all for size of type and notes. The Phillip’s New Testament is popular; he died before finishing the Old Testament.
A concordance is a must and you will get maps too most of the time. Israel is the size of tiny little New Jersey. That makes the Middle East War more frightening.
A leather binding is expensive but it will last a very long time. My leather cover bit the dust after about 36 years. In addition a large book with a hard cover is hard to read; pages flip back together if you put it down and it is heavy to boot. So the supple cover is better.
Finally several Bible societies also print inexpensive paperback bibles, occasionally just the New Testament, but be sure to look for Psalms and Proverbs since these are popular with everyone. And you can find many Bibles online at BibleGateway.com.
If the Bible scares you, read the Proverbs 1st, or the book of John, or any of the little John books to get your feet weet Blessings will follow.
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Top Posts & Pages
- Hair - An Important Symbol
- The Difference between Prayer and Intercession
- The Difference between Being Born Again & Being Saved
- The Importance of Shall vs. Will in Scripture
- Symbolism of Women in Dream Interpretation - part 1
- Who is the King of Hell?
- The Doctor who Forbade me to Pray for His Patient
- What one Question God will ask You on Judgment Day
- Coronavirus Lockdown Is A 'Living Hell' - personal essay
- The Coronavirus Prayer
Search by Category
- Applied Christianity
- Bible Studies
- History of Religion
- Let's Rethink
- Personal Relationships
- Political Issues
- Spiritual Roots
- Spiritual Warfare
- Symbolism & Dream Interpretation
- The Church v. The Kingdom
- The Difference Between
- True Story