- Preparing the Body for Burial as a Memorial
- Worry is Cancer in the Mind
- How the Word of God Exposed a Thief
- How to Understand the Bible
- What is an Abomination?
- What is the Anointing?
- Why Michal had no more children, and today’s Church
- Atheist, Anti-theist, Agnostic, AntiChrist
- Why Soldier Suicide – Culture Clash
- Integrity – Definition
- Peter and Jesus – a Pattern for Reconciliation
- Some Cracking Ideas for Saturday Night
- The Difference between Prayer and Intercession
- Dream Interpretation & Bible Symbolism
- Covet, Envy, Jealous, Greed, Anger, Hate
- Open Letter from God to the Witches of Salem
- Charlottesville 2017 The Bad News Is …
- Arrogance and Ignorance are Twins
- Why Donald Trump is Hated (and why it won’t go away)
- Open Letter to Queen Elizabeth about Heaven
- The Loss of the Uniquely American Mind
- Protected: Schadenfreude for Conservatives
- Interpreting the Bible “Our” Way
- The Difference between Critical Thinking and Criticism
- Israel and the 21th Century
- Unalienable vs. Inalienable Rights
- The Difference between a Sin and a Mistake
- What the Snake said to Adam and Eve
- Evolution and Motive
- What has God Called Your Nation to Be
- 3 Types of People – Wise, Fools, Evil & How to Handle
- Was the Early Church Communist
- How to Think – A Primer in an Age of Unsupported Opinion
- Available now at Amazon for Pre-order
- An Incidence of Racism -that well – Wasn’t
- Seeing the World through God’s Eyes
- One Deed can Change Your Life Forever
- You Don’t Need to be Wicked to End up in Hell
- Death and the End of Free Will.
- Understanding Laziness
- An Open Apology To Dolly Parton
- Can You Handle Rejection?
- How the Election of 2016 Reflected Theology
- Hate Didn’t Elect Donald Trump; People Did
- Judge Jeanine: ‘This Wasn’t an Election, It Was a Revolution’
- A Different Type Of God
- Who Voted for Trump & Why You Need not be Surprised
- The Danger of Deductive Reasoning in Spiritual Matters – A Devotional
- scary stuff, continued: researcher misconduct
- 10 Self-Defeating Ideas You Should Probably Stop Believing
- Graphic Proof of a Failed Presidency 2009-2016
- The Question We Should Ask Ourselves – Devotional
- Jesus Was Not Politically Correct
- The Valley of Decision – Election 2016
- Getting Tired of Reform Theology
- Cultural Hegemony: Roots of Western Leftist Domination
- Gun-free zones empower mass murder
- Spong Rhymes with Wrong
- Being Right is not Being Righteous
- Please don’t ask how I’m doing!
- Angels at the Employment Agency
- Protected: The Issue of False Teachers, False Prophets in the Church
- 400 Million Dollars to Iran – explained by Jesus
- BSD – the Ultimate in Anti-Semitism
- Thin need
- Lazarus, the New Man, “Come forth.”
- How to (not) Battle the Devil
- Phoneography. Part Three. 15 images taken with Microsoft Lumia 550
- Dealing with Shame God’s Way
- Protected: Why many Women no longer Attend Church
- When God seems Irrational – Naaman
- How God Defines Faith
- What the Bible says about Women being Drafted for Military Service
- What is The Prophet’s Reward
- What is Holiness and Why is it Important
- God’s Opinion of National Identity and the Brexit Vote
- 30% Christians no longer in Church – Why?
- Why Seek the Baptism in the Holy Spirit
- Why I’m Not Healed – Reason 1
- Why such Hatred of Women in Our Time
- The Great Division between True and False- Coming soon
- The Bathroom Bill and Auschwitz
- What the Bible says about tattoos
- The Doctor who Forbid me to Pray for His Patient – A Devotional
- Symbols – Mineral Kingdom and Given Names
- Stephen Hawking is Stumped by Trump (but I’m not)
- COMING SOON – eBOOK Immaculate Assumptions “All the Stuff you Heard about the Bible that Isn’t True
- Forgive and Forget – Not Really
- Judgment Delayed – A Devotional
- Book Review – The Faith of Christopher Hitchens by Larry Taunton
- The Meaning of the Word “Perfect” – in the Bible
- The Mouth Cannot Say what the Heart Does Not Believe
- Jesus’ Death for Everyman is a Technicality
- Is God Coming in Judgment on the Earth Soon?
- My best friend is leaving his wife – of 37 years.
- God has Some Hopeful Words on 2016 Politics
- A Buddhist Prays
- Van Gogh’s Painting of the By-Passed Church
- The Spiritual Roots of Abuse
Tag Archives: unforgivenessImage
Recently I read a tirade by a Christian minister against a group of prominent TV teachers and while I don’t watch this group myself, I knew this screed would only bring judgment on the critic.
Years ago Bob Mumford warned us about criticizing a man’s wife. Even if the man is not especially happy with his wife, he won’t approve your lambasting her – after all, she was HIS choice. In the same way, it is not a good idea to criticize God’s choice in His people and his ministers. We are, eventually, the Bride of Christ and His Choice. We’d best not be giving God grief about his “wife.”
There is an obscure scripture about this issue which few preach on, but it is appropriate here.
1 Corinthians 11:29-32 (PHILLIPS) No, a man should thoroughly examine himself, and only then should he eat the bread or drink of the cup. He that eats and drinks carelessly is eating and drinking a judgment on himself, for he is blind to the presence of the Lord’s body.
30 It is this careless participation which is the reason for many feeble and sickly Christians in your church, and the explanation of the fact that many of you are spiritually asleep.
31-32 If we were closely to examine ourselves beforehand, we should avoid the judgment of God. But when God does judge us, he disciplines us as his own sons, that we may not be involved in the general condemnation of the world.
One way you can be blind to the presence of the Lord’s Body is to deny certain people communion, either as a minister, or as a congregation, or yourself. It’s bad enough when the devil attacks the believers; we should not be joining in. Many Roman Catholics do this as a matter of practice but not all.
Congregations today are a mixture of true and false. But we are told that as the end draws near, the angels will separate false from true and when Jesus returns the false wheat burns up in fires while the true wheat is stored in its own barn, ready to feed a dying world.
Meanwhile we are told to keep quiet about our opinions. If there is a false teacher among us, we are told to preach the Word of God and let the flock make up its own mind. Trees are known by their fruits, not their toots.
In 1987 I attended a conference at a church in Indiana. The minister complained endlessly about the fellow ministers who called him a “false prophet” and many other not-so-nice names. I was struck by the bitter unforgiveness in his heart. When King David was cursed by Shimei he brushed it off, saying, perhaps the Lord has sent him. David went along his way as though nothing had happened. But this man was a dump of invective.
Three years later I met a man from Ohio who knew this minister personally; he had died abruptly. I can’t say it was any shock to me. Joyce Meyer defines unforgiveness this way – “taking poison to kill someone else, but it kills you.” People in the ministry know that forgiveness heals and unforgiveness kills. Unforgiveness is a form of suicide.
I have another friend who sees at least 2 doctors a week. She is in constant pain most of the time, BUT she never attends church. She has disobeyed the command to “not forsake coming together with believers.” Without a church, neither can she take communion; many people are healed in a communion service. She never fasts; fasting can bring about healing. She is not recognizing the Lord’s Body, esp. as it relates to the communion bread and wine.
Another case of not recognizing the Lord’s Body occurred recently when a minister told some teenagers they could no longer work helping the AV ministry. NO explanation was given. These young men are (I know them) true believers and an asset to the congregation.
Shabby treatment by the senior pastor means he does not know who he is messing with. This man also has no group of four persons to whom he answers – he is the top dog and the only dog in his church. His behavior borders on a mental condition.
Nothing speaks of failure more than a “lone ranger” minister. There is a long line of ministerial failures; about every ten years a truly scandalous event comes along to expose a prominent minister who is siting alone on the top of a pile. It happened to King David!
Isolation from the Body of Christ can and does lead to misery, and sickness.
The main cause of unhappiness is that you didn’t get your own way. This emotion leads to both physical and continued, expanded emotional problems, bitterness, anger, revenge, even murder. But how to stop it?
If Jesus is knocking at the door of your heart (Rev 3:20), how can you open the door? The knob on your side is named “Forgiveness.”
Jesus’ basic prayer for all persons says, “forgive us our transgressions as we have (already) forgiven others. All that crucifixion, all that victory for the whole world starts at forgiveness, which is not God’s job but yours. Jesus did His job; now you do your part.
But I can’t do that, you protest! Yes you can, your future depends on your ability to release yourself from the bondage. It has nothing to do with your being justified in your position. You may be the victim who appears on a TV program; your story may be so awful no one listens or believes you. Never mind, God knows. And while you are seething with resentment and blame, the person you have not forgiven is living life without any (apparent) sense of loss.
What happens when you forgive? First, you are free. (By the way you may need to voice this forgiveness many times over.) But when you take your hands off the person(s) who hurt you, God is available now to judge and reach them.
Vengeance is mine, says God. (Deut 32:35) Good – now He can step in. And no, you don’t need to know how He is dealing with them. You will find out in due time. This is His promise. (Deuteronomy 32:35-Vengeance is Mine, and recompense; Their foot shall slip in due time; For the day of their calamity is at hand, And the things to come hasten upon them.)
“I choose to forgive (name them by name if you can)” and allow God to free you and to handle this situation. And He will.
Do not forget to forgive yourself and God too. Most people are blaming Him for something. People who pray this prayer often report immediate changes in their life. Try it. After all, it is your life and only you are in charge of your own life.